Sunday, September 16, 2012

Steak & Potatoes Peruvian Style

I haven't been to Peru (yet) but I'm sure we'd get along fine.

I've had this dish at a Peruvian restaurant, and of course enjoyed it, so when the recipe showed up in Food & Wine I figured I should try it. I omitted a few things since I didn't feel like going to the store, and substituted other things for the same reason. It was still edible.
lomosaltado3
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil 
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander 
2 garlic cloves, minced 
Salt and freshly ground pepper 
1 pound skirt steak (no clue how much I had really)
1 red onion, slivered (didn't have an onion so I used a few shallots)
frozen french fries 
1/4 can of rotel diced chiles and tomatoes (recipe called for jalapeno and tomatoes)

In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, cumin, coriander, garlic and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Cut the steak into 4-inch pieces; slice the steaks across the grain 1/2 inch thick and add to the bowl along with the onion. Let marinate for 10 minutes (or longer).
lomosaltado1

Meanwhile, you can cook your frozen french fries in either the oven, or deep fry them in oil. I went with oven since it's easier and less messy, but I don't knock deep frying at all.

Heat a large skillet (preferably cast iron) until very hot. Add the steak and onion mixture and stir-fry over high heat until the meat and onion are cooked through and lightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the rotel  and cook until softened and beginning to char, about 1 minute. Add the french fries and fresh cilantro if you have it (I didn't) and flip with a spatula to combine. Eat immediately! :)
lomosaltado2



No comments:

Post a Comment