Sunday, September 6, 2009

Better BBQ Sauce

Okay, so this is a small little "recipe" but I felt it was worth posting, because after I put it together one day (after having made it plenty of times before) a cooking show came on that made almost the exact same sauce.

It's really a concoction my dad came up with, basically just a way to doctor store-bought bbq sauce to make it better.

There's no specific amounts (in my version at least) I just go for what looks good, and smells good, and makes a good consistency.

Here's our ingredients:
bbq1
worcestershire
bbq sauce (I used Kraft, the cooking show used Bulls-eye)
mustard
butter/margarine
brown sugar (the show used molasses)
garlic powder

I mixed mine up in a plastic container with a lid, since I was bringing it to a bbq later. I started with butter and worcestershire, and added brown sugar. I microwave that for a little bit to help the sugar melt and mix better (you can also wait to microwave it at the end). Then I just add in what seems like appropriate amounts of the other ingredients, and mix it all up.
bbq2

The smell is sweet and smokey and just better than what you started with. We mainly use this when we grill sausage, and since that doesn't take long to cook, there isn't a big problem with the sugar burning. In the case of basting chicken, you may want to use less sugar, or wait to baste the meat only on the last flip or two.

bbq9

No comments:

Post a Comment