Friday, August 14, 2009

Pasta for Dummies - Pesto Alfredo

If you have an aversion to using pre-packaged sauces in jars, you may skip to another post.

If you want a super yummy meal that is also super easy, and did I mention super yummy? Then stay right here.

And you too can have some of this Pesto-Alfredo Chicken pasta for yourself.
served

An online acquaintance posted the recipe and said "make this, it'll taste like you spent hours in the kitchen".

Original recipe:
*dry pasta, any kind
*1 cup store bought pesto sauce
*1 ½ cup Alfredo sauce
*sun-dried tomatoes
*fresh cilantro
*1 cup cooked, chopped chicken breast

1. Cook pasta according to instructions.
2. Combined Alfredo sauce, pesto sauce, sun-dried tomatoes, cilantro, chicken breast. Heat and serve.

Simple enough, right? But wait, it gets better. I made it EASIER.

I omitted the sun-dried tomatoes (I'm not really into tomatoes) and the cilantro (because I didn't go to the store). I didn't even measure my sauces, I just used a jar of alfredo sauce and about 3/4 of a jar of pesto because the amounts in them were about right. (Pesto is strong, so you may decide 1/2 the jar is enough for you).

My alfredo was actually the "roasted garlic" flavor, which may have possibly improved upon this almost un-improvable meal.

OH MY GOD ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION?!?! YOU EMPTY TWO JARS INTO A POT AND YOU HEAT THEM UP. HOW MUCH BETTER CAN THIS GET??

I happened to have chicken already marinating in vidalia onion dressing. I almost always have random ziplocs of chicken marinating...I keep them in the freezer, and then take them out a day or two before I want to eat them. my usual marinade is italian salad dressing, but vidalia onion sometimes wins out. So I just grilled the chicken on my George Foreman and it was AMAZING (I'm sure cooking it in a pan would have been great too).

And I cooked some penne. And then I put it all together and I ate it. Sooooo gooooooood.
stirred

3 comments:

  1. This recipe worked very well for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been searching for reassurance that this would work! Thanks! I'm making it for lunch (minus the tomatoes and cilantro cause I have everything else already!)

    ReplyDelete