Saturday, August 29, 2009

Potato, Cheese, and Ale Soup

The original recipe comes from Bitchin Camaro, brought to my attention by Crepes of Wrath.

soup7

1 tbsp. olive oil (I used bacon grease muhahahaha)
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 5)
2 large Idaho potato, diced (I left the skin on…fiber!)
1 cup chicken stock
1 12. oz Ale-style beer (I used Sam Adams Summer Ale)
3/4 cup shredded cheese, plus 1/2 cup for garnish (I used cheddar and jack)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
optional garnishes:
bacon (and to use the grease)
pretzels
sour cream

The original recipe is meant to serve 2...Since I wanted more than 2 servings, I added another potato. But I guess my potatoes were extra large, because it made a huge amount. I used a little extra of each other ingredient to accommodate, but still needed to add more liquid (to keep it creamy) so I added milk as well.

Yay, making soup!
soup1

Set a large pot over medium-high heat and add the olive oil/bacon grease. Saute the onions for 5 – 7 minutes, or until soft, then add the garlic and saute for another couple of minutes.

Add the potatoes and brown them a bit.
soup2

After 8 to 10 minutes, add the stock and beer and reduce the heat to medium. Let simmer uncovered for 15 minutes or so, or until the potatoes are tender.
soup3

Use an immersion blender, regular blender or food processor to puree the soup until smooth. (Because my extra potato made so much, I had to do this in two batches). Return to the pot and reduce the heat to low.
soup4

Stir in the cheese, salt, paprika and vinegar until well-combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
soup5

Ladle into bowls and garnish with your choice...my choice was bacon, sour cream, and more cheese.
soup6

No comments:

Post a Comment